New Chapter, with Emily In It

Posted by Naba on 10:53 AM

When I got laid off from my job as an account executive with an ad company eight months ago, I was not surprised. Not because I hated the job or because I knew I wasn't doing well. In fact, I was under the impression that I was on my way to better things.

I wasn't surprised because I wasn't in the right 'place'. I was in a career that is off from my 'path' enough that going to work was never truly exciting. So when I was let go, I never became depressed or upset or wishing to go back to the same position. It was exactly what I needed.

I was able to sit with myself and realize what I want in life - to be in broadcasting. To be on TV, or radio. Whichever medium, I know I want to host. I want to tell stories.

And I want to have fun. Having secured a spot with public radio, I'm doing exactly what I want. Silly as it may sound, there was a time when I was saying a mantra. It was "I am on television, on a regular basis, being creative, and loving my job." I also did the Law of Attraction Workbook Desire Statement exercise, which culminated in a page describing what my ideal job is. My ideal job included working with fun, smart people who are encouraging and motivated.

I tell you, that's what the folks on the show are like. And I'm not on television yet. So I haven't achieved that goal but believe me when I say that positive thinking, be it in the form of just thinking positive or in the act of reading and doing things that have little scientific proof, WORKS.

It helps that I have the support of a loving partner and a family that has 100% faith in me being able to achieve my goal. It also helps that my friends believe in me and accept me for who I am.

This might be a bit much for some, but it's all true. And I'll continue to do things this way, because it feels good when I achieve.

This brings me to the topic of friendship. At the job I left, I had a boss with whom I felt a strong connection. She has always been supportive, real and hilarious. Our relationship was on two levels by the time I left. The first was employee/employer, and the second was friends. We have remained friends and I've never stopped loving Emily as such.

Today we're having lunch, and I can't wait to tell her what's been going on in my life.

0 comments: